Tradewinds Sales Tax Policy

Home / Sales Tax Policy

This Sales Tax Policy describes how Sales tax Is collected and remitted when purchasing taxable Goods from Tradewinds Software Corporation.

Most US states have enacted marketplace facilitator tax laws that impact SAAS companies such as Tradewinds. These laws shift sales tax and state imposed fee collection responsibilities from the customers to Companies offiering the service. As a result, Tradewinds began calculating, collecting, reporting, and remitting applicable sales tax on states listed in the Marketplace Facilitator Laws table below.

Tradewinds does accept federal and state issued sales tax exemptions. Buyers claiming an exemption from sales tax must provide the appropriate tax exemption documentation to Tradewinds for review and, once validated, we will update your account accordingly to reflect the exemption.
Please submit tax exemption forms to billing@tradewinds-software.com.

State and local sales tax laws are subject to change.

Texas Sales Tax Update (October 2023): Beginning October 1, 2023, for each Tradewinds Sales Tax applicable transaction delivered within the state of Texas, Tradewinds is required to charge and collect a sales tax on 80% of the transaction with the other 20% considered tax exempt. This partial exemption applies to both state and local sales taxes.  

Colorado Retail Delivery Fee Update (June 2023): Beginning July 1, 2023, for each Tradewinds transaction delivered within the state of Colorado, Tradewinds is required to charge and collect a Retail Delivery Fee in the amount of $0.28 from our buyers on each Colorado transaction. This fee is in addition to the applicable Colorado state and local sales tax.

All applicable sales taxes and state-imposed fees are reflected as a separate line item on the purchase receipt(s) and statement(s) of the buyer and it is the buyer’s responsibility to pay all taxes and fees due.

 

How Tax is Calculated

State and local sales tax rates vary and the actual amount of tax applied to your order depends on many factors including:

  • The final total item price
  • The nature of the item purchased (taxable or non-taxable item)
  • Separately stated shipping charges (taxable or non-taxable charges)
  • The shipment or delivery location of the item purchased.

 

These 26 states currently consider SaaS to be tax-exempt:

Arkansas (Regulation GR-25)
California (Revenue & Tax Code §6006)
Colorado (Code of Regulations 60-310)
Florida (​​Rule: 12A-1.032)
Georgia (LR SUT-2014-05)
Idaho (Code §63-3616(b))
Illinois (86 Ill. Adm. Code 130.1935)
Indiana (Information Bulletin #8)
Kansas (Opinion Letter No. O-2010-005)
Kentucky (Sales Tax Facts 2020)
Louisiana (Revenue Ruling No. 10-001 and suspension of ruling)
Maine (list of taxable services
Michigan  (Department of Treasury Notice, January 6, 2016)
Minnesota (R. 8130.0500, Subp. 2)
Mississippi (Rule 35.IV.5.06 – page 56)
Missouri (Rev. Stat. §144.010)
Nebraska (Information Guide 6-511-2011– currently being updated)
Nevada (Rev. Stat. §372.060)
New Jersey (Technical Bulletin TB-72)
North Carolina (SUPLR 2014-0010)
North Dakota (Cent. Code §Sec. 57-39.2-02.1)
Oklahoma (uniform tax matrix)
Vermont (Stat. Ann. tit. 32 §9701)
Virginia (05-44 Tax Commissioner Ruling)
Wisconsin (Sales and Use Tax Treatment – Computer Hardware & Software)
Wyoming (Wyo. Stat. Ann. §39-15-103)